Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Raspberry Pi Safe

You are familiar with my previous post about an Raspberry Pi enclosure here.

I took an old audio cassette case and then used a Dremel tool to put strategic holes therein to accommodate cables and also some holes immediately above the chips that generate the most heat.

I've bought heat sinks for these chips here. The price was $10 with $3 shipping.

It was a very tight fit and when I tried to get it to fit with a different Ethernet cable the hole was too small. So, I decided against munging my Wang Chung cassette.

Since the fit was so tight, I decided to use something else as an enclosure. Something a little larger.
It looked like the Doors double-album was large enough.

Before I started Dremel-carving on the Doors album, I asked my wife to stop by the Goodwill store to pick up another double-album of something less iconic, maybe Ray Conniff or Mantovani.

She said they didn't have any double CD cases at Goodwill, but they did have a small wooden box. The best thing was the color of the box.

Only downside was that one hinge was loose. And the lid that was made of plywood and split. So, I replaced the missing nails, glued the split, and clamped it down.


The Raspberry Pi has cables for HDMI, Ethernet, and power. So, I carved three holes in the side of the box to accommodate these cables.

Now, this isn't finished. For one thing the hole for the USB is too small and it's too late to Dremel tonight. Moreover, I am worried about air circulation being insufficient to accommodate heat dissipation. At the moment my Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB does not have the heat sinks I put on my Model A 256MB. I've ordered a 2nd set of heat sinks and we'll see how they do.

The system says I'm starting at 111 degrees when the Raspberry Pi is sitting out in the open. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Those more worthy than I: