Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Monster Hunter Series

As a tender lad I had nightmares fueled by a combination of 1960s Cold War hysteria and Evangelical apocalypse preaching. The end-of-the-world nightmares were particularly frightening because the ground would crumble beneath my feet. I feared falling into the abyss.

Until I learned that I could fly in dreams. And then ground crumbling beneath my feet became an annoyance. That's what I told my kids. Just learn to fly. But my daughter dreamed of monsters and I told her to dream up a gun to shoot it. There are not that many problems in my dreams that cannot be solved with a sufficiently large calibre gun.



I don't know whether Larry Correia learned to destroy the terror of nightmares this way, but he writes like it. I've read four of his novels, and reviewed them. And I decided I should create a single place where you can link them:
I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I did.

2 comments:

  1. I love the line about no problem in a dream that cannot be resolved with a large calibre weapon. Interesting blog, I too am a fan of Sherlock, have been most of my life. thanks for following me on Twitter. Seasons greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice thing about violent confrontations in dreams with your terrors is that nobody gets hurt but that part of your id that conjures up those thangs.

      Delete



Those more worthy than I: